top speed

mekos

Recruit
My 25 hp Mercury two stroke outboard with remote control, starts fine, idles fine, throttles up fine ....when not in gear, forward or reverse. In gear the engine revs up smoothly but seems to run out of travel and never reaches full throttle. This started happening once in awhile, now seems as though what ever was starting to fail has now failed. It seems like a cable adjustment, but am hoping someone may have had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction. Thank you for any help.

mekos

Recruit
I've since replaced the spark plugs and after warming up the engine, put it in gear, slowly throttled up, and at about midway it surged a bit and took off like new. Made a couple high speed laps enjoying the power. I docked the boat and let her set a bit, took it out again and same old problem.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Running on one cylinder. Likely an ignition issue, due to the intermittency of your problem. Remove one plug wire and start motor. If it doesn't start at all, then the dead cylinder is the one still plugged in. If it starts and runs like before, then it was the one you removed the wire from. You can try the easy stuff like replacing plugs, swapping coils around, etc. Check all wiring and grounds.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Probably an electrical issue. Check your grounds. check for signs of overheating on the back of the power pack.