97 Mercury 75HP Knocking noise

BigBallin

Recruit
I have a 97 Mercury 75 horse that has a loud knocking sound coming from what seems to be the center of the exhaust/drive shaft housing. I may be getting progressively worse or maybe it's just that I am aware of it and listening for it. Sometimes at high RPM's it seems to go away. In or out of gear doesn;t seem to matter. I ran it on the hose a couple of days ago while using a Mechanic's Stethoscope I listened every where. completely around all 3 cylinders, the gear case, every where. Of course it can be heard on every piece of metal you touch with it but it becomes deafening in the middle of the driveshaft housing. It becomes quieter the further away you get from it. Even on the housing there is a noticeable difference in volume over the 8 or10 or so inches that make up that portion of the lower unit.
Now my question......
Is there anything in there that can do that? Looking at diagrams I am unable to figure out what it could be. I do intend to dig in and check er out more in depth today or tomorrow but wanted to get in yall's heads a bit if I could.
Thanks Fellas

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Drop the gearcase. Put a water hose on the water tube, and run some water at low pressure. Start the motor and see if the noise is gone. If so the gearcase has the issue. If not the powerhead has the issue.