1976 Mercury 110 9.8 electric outboard

pymybob

Recruit
First post and new to the community. Wondering if I can ask a general question. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1976 Mercury 110 9.8 electric outboard. Now, I've never come across an electric version of this motor and was wondering if you I can get any tips on what to look for before purchasing it? I know to check the cylinder compression (would you happen to know the psi numbers for this outboard?) but the electronic ignition concerns me as I have no experience with that. What should I look for? Is this a hard-to-find parts outboard?

tpenfield

Staff member
Just make sure the electric start works. not sure of the PSI numbers, but they should be reasonably consistent between the 2 cylinders and in the range of 90-100 psi. don't worry about the electronic ignition . . . as long as the engine works.

Yes, some parts are becoming harder to get, but not impossible. So, if it is a good deal go for it.

I have a 1969 7.5 hp, which is a similar engine, parts are a bit harder to get, being 7 years older.

pymybob

Recruit
I appreciate the reply. The asking price is $550 so I think that is a decent price. If the ignition does not work, should I walk?

tpenfield

Staff member
I appreciate the reply. The asking price is $550 so I think that is a decent price. If the ignition does not work, should I walk?

Yea, I would not be paying $550 for a 30 year old engine that is not in working condition. Non-working motors are generally referred to as 'parts motors' and would sell for 1/2 that price.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
For that price,it should run like a top...no problems at all.

pymybob

Recruit
I'm hoping that it does. Just can't find any good deals where I'm located. Believe me, I've tried and walked away plenty of times. Now that I have my boat - 14R Sea Nymph, I just need one now more than ever!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Even running like a top. $550. is steep.$250. @ best

I can get $550 all day long for a Model 110 pull start motors in my area as long as they run good. Where are you getting them for $250, I would travel to buy some at that price!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
MI. 1976 Though? elec starts are desirable(sp)?

The electric start is very desirable, hell I have sold 4 1967 Model 110 9.8 hp motors in the last couple of years and the least I got was $550. Those smaller motors are really in high demand in some places as more and more areas institute HP limits. If I could pick up a model 110 with electric start that runs good, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Last edited: