850 85hp mercury tilt trim leak

bskomo21

Recruit
I just bought my first boat and the tilt trim is leaking on the right side were it connects to the engine i belive it is the hose. I was wondering if that is something i can have coustom made or if anyone knows where i can buy the hose premade.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Where the stainless steel hose fitting screws into the trim cylinder is a weak spot on that type of PTT. The aluminum threads are pretty fragile. If that is where the leak is, you can replace the cylinder, or maybe tap it oversize and install a brass flush bushing? I am not sure if you have enough room for a flush bushing.

bskomo21

Recruit
Thanks i will post a pic of it tomorrow and i just noticed today that the left side is leaking as well i will post a pic of both problem areas.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Two of the pictures show the piston rod seal is leaking. You can replace those easily. If the threads of the cylinder are leaking that is a horse of a different color. If you want to replace the Oring seals, use a spanner to remove the trim rod cover, which contains the Oring seal. Now pull out the piston rod and inner steel cylinder, making sure the piston stays in the inner cylinder. Unbolt the piston rod, leaving the piston in the inner cylinder. Now remove the cylinder cap and replace the oring. Lube it and reinstall the cap onto the trim rod, bolt the piston/cylinder assembly to the trim rod and reinstall and bleed.