1999 75hp mercury running very rough?

gerboo41

Recruit
Could bad reed valves cause the engine to run rough? Compression is good and carbs have been cleaned.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yeah. Pop your carbs and check them if worried. I think I recall the max gap is .020" and obviously no damage. Easier thing to do would be to get a timing light and clip it on the spark plug wires one at a time. If one of your CDI packs is lazy you will see it. There have been a low of improvements in those over the years. I had problems with my OEMs on a 2002 engine.

rbaratt

Seaman Apprentice
Texasmark - ,I have the same problem, what are we looking for with the timing light?

gerboo41

Recruit
I checked the reed valves and they are good. crossed two plug wires and problem changed cylinders. I believe Texasmark is right, I have a lazy CDI pack so I am ordering a new one. Thanks for your help Texasmark.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Texasmark - ,I have the same problem, what are we looking for with the timing light?
On these triples it's real hard to tell when you dropped a cylinder CDM (Capacitor Discharge Module....aka the thing that develops high voltage from a little trigger from the stator coils under the flywheel, and connects it to the spark plug), or when one is loafing on you.

The timing light is the easiest way to test for presence or absence of spark on a cylinder. Battery types are the easiest as you have the red wires from the battery and 12v distribution point handy. I have caught bad CDMs 2 out of 2 occasions and one was temp sensitive....wouldn't work cold but when engine warmed up it worked.

Just put the sensor on or near the plug wire you are interested in and pull the trigger. Watch the flashes. You want a nice steady, repeating flash, at a constant rate with all producing the same flash. Another way is to buy or build a spark tester but the timing light is easiest, but on some problems you need to know how hot the spark is and the spark tester will do that. It's just a gap, forget the dimension, to ground and you put your spark plug wire on one side of the gap and engine block (battery -.....aka ground) on the other. If it jumps a good hot, blue flame, you are good to go. Thinking somewhere around 1/4" for the gap. Check the archives.

gerboo41

Recruit
Well, I was wrong about the CDM Module being bad. Bought a new one and installed it and still have the same problem on the no. 2 cylinder. It has fire but cylinder is not firing. All 3 cyls. have around 100 psi on compression and I have checked the reed valves on no. 2 and they are good. I don't know anything else to do. Could it be in the Stator?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If you have an accurate meter and are doing the job correctly, 100 is about 20# low per the manual which states you may expect problems. All being about the same reading is what you want.

Pull the plugs and get an oil can and squirt the cylinders real good with OB oil...idea is to use the oil to seal the rings. If the compression shoots up 15 or so psig then your rings may need some attention.

Did you put a timing light on all the plug wires and monitor each cylinder firing and compare the light activity to other cylinders?