1989 175 Mercury No hole shot, sometimes

h2oJunky

Recruit
I have been trouble shooting for a few weekends now and need some help.

About 50% of the time when I am trying to pull a skier I have no hole shot. The other 50% of the time it runs great.

The boat gets to about 1500 rpm and no more. If I keep pushing the throttle it will die.

If I push in the choke for a second while it is struggling to get on plane, it will start to accelerate and get on plane and then run to WOT.

Thanks for any ideas.

History:

Boat came from CA and was jetted for sea level. I rebuilt the carbs for 5000' and also put in a set of reeds. I live in CO

I have rebuilt the fuel pump. Good Compression.

I removed the timing advance module thinking that was the problem. So set I set the WOT timing to 20 degrees. (The merc manual says 18 for a 175 and then I added 2). It idles in gear at constant 800 rpm.

I have link and synced the carbs several times with the merc manual.

New gas, new fuel lines, new filters.

I have tried both a 17p and 19p high five props.

Yesterday the 17p prop was on and when I was trying to barefoot the boat would not get on plane. I would get in the boat we get it to run with pushing the choke, I would jump back in water and then it would be fine. The 17p is about 4200 rpm at WOT, seems low to me.

Currently the 19p is on it with 4 of the 5 PVS plugs removed. It hooks up well when the motor runs. With the 19p I am about 3900 rpm at WOT

Dukedog

Captain
good carb cleanin' with all new gaskets inside and out no mater what tha old ones look like or if they come off lookin' good, replace 'em.. check and set floats... pushin' tha key makes it better its a fuel delivery problem and ya said ya did tha fuel pump already sooooo.