1984 Mercury 25 xl (?) Lower Unit Seal Replacement

bedarbk

Recruit
Hi All,

My neighbor has a boat that has just been sitting, and he's been pretty down on his luck for the last few years, so I was going to help him by attempting to get it running again. He told me that it's a 1984 Mercury 25 xl (not so sure about the "xl," as not much is turning up for that online,) and that it needs a lower unit seal replacement as well as a carburator overhaul.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but i've never worked on an outboard before. I'm pretty confident I can perform the carb overhaul, but I am finding VERY little online regarding either 1) where or how to obtain the necessary parts to replace the seals on the lower unit, or 2) any type of write up or procedure on how to perform this repair.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of where I might be able to buy the necessary new 'seals,' and possibly where I can find a write up (preferably with pictures, or a video,) of how to perform this?

Many thanks!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your motor is a 25 xd not xl. Everything you need you should be able to get on this website. Look up all your parts by the serial # the carb kit and lower unit seal kit are available. Buy a manual or sometimes the library has it and you can make copies, especially if you have to pull the bearing carrier in the lower unit as it is a left handed thread and the tool is supplied. That you want to be very careful with.