1976 7.5 Mercury Drive Shaft

67Thompson

Recruit
I am looking for a replacement Drive Shaft for 1976 7.5 hp Mercury Motor. SN 4552100 . What are my options with other motors ? Different years ,Please any idea's would help. Motor runs great ,Drive Shaft is all rusty. It's to bad these weren't Stainless Steel .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Johnson and Evinrude started using stainless shafts in the early 50's if not before.--------Mercury started using them in the 76 / 77 years.----Your motor may have an older lower unit installed, I can not tell from here.----------E-Bay is a possibility for an affordable one.-------Your location makes a difference as well.-----Many motors available for reasonable dollars / for parts and at less than $100 depending on your location.---I sometimes machine a stainless sleeve with 0.010" wall thickness to repair those rusty shafts.---Look for a " speedy sleeve " repair option.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I just went through this on my 1969 Mercury 7.5. There were several drive shafts shared among the 7.5 and the 9.8 motor, and possibly the 3.9. . .

The stainless steel shafts came out in the late 1970's as stated. I would not go with the carbon steel shaft as they will get pitted, even if you find one in good shape.

I would go to marine engine . com and check the p/n for your drive shaft versus one from a slightly new engine maybe 1979 or 1980. Then check ebay for who's got one for sale.

I got one from a 1980 motor for $160

tpenfield

Staff member
Just a quick search on ebay showed some slim pickin's for those drive shafts. I think I searched periodically for about 6 months and found one well under $200.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, I bought a complete motor at an antique outboard meet for $80 with a working switch box and good lower unit with stainless shaft.-----If you want stuff immediately you have to pay.----If you have patience then you come across good deals.