1988 MERCURY 60 HP ELO cable confusion

pickard1

Cadet
Hi everyone, I have been getting advice from the iboats forum for years but just became a member.
I just bought a 1988 Merc 60HP ELO, serial # 0A740965. Don't even know if it runs. I have to trust the guy I bought it from
who said it ran great when he stored it 2 years ago. Before I can even get to that stage, I have to figure a couple of things out.
It came with a Quicksilver Control that has an ignition switch, a gear cable, a throttle cable and a long 8-pin cable. The engine has an 8-pin receptacle so that seems straight forward, but does this engine have the connectors for the gear and throttle cables or are those functions electronic? Also, the cables to the battery are missing. Where do I hook up the battery +/- on the engine?
Once I get these answers, I can follow some of the steps in the famous 'Awakening A Sleeping Outboard' post.
Thanks

DavidMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The connectors for the throttle and shift cables would be at the lower right hand side, I think yours would be as shown in the sketch.
Recommend getting a service a service manual for your engine for the set-up instructions and all the maintenance and trouble shooting you might have to do in the future.
Battery +/- would be hooked up to the starter solenoid.

Attachments

• photo222364.PNG
    photo222364.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 0

pickard1

Cadet
Thanks for the PIC. Got it hooked up in 10 minutes after you replied. I tried to hit 'Like' in the box but it posted as 'Unlike'.