1976 Mercury 850 outboard gear noise lower unit

udusted

Cadet
Hello,

I recently boat 76 Glastron T166 and the power trim didn't work but wanted to take it out anyways. I took it out and had a great day on the water everything was sounding fine with the motor and when coming back in off the water I hit some rocks. I damaged my aluminum prop pretty good. So I sent it in to get repaired. In the mean time I had a spare prop this one being a 21 pitch with different style hub. I took the boat out a few days later and could hear a ting noise every few seconds at a slow speed around 1k rpm. I never heard this with my 17inch prop. Received my reconditioned prop and put of and went out. I didn't hear as loud of a click noise as I did with the spare prop but I now hear a noise or sounds like the motor is binding up or something like that. I am unsure what to do so I drained the Lower Unit and seen only flakes on the top plug. The bottom one didn't have anything on it not sure if it is magnetized or not. I think when I ran the motor with muffs on before heading out this last time I could still hear a clank noise every once in a while in neutral and a weird vibration around 1,500 rpm or so then it goes away. On the water if I go into reverse in does clunk clunk clunk and the motor moves up and down I think. I don't go into reverse often. I am not sure if I am being over paranoid now or if I have an issue or what I should do. Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks