80's 45 horse mercury outboard. No Power

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Working on my neighbors bass boat. When in N it will rev up fine. Once in gear it will have no power and die.

Tested using external tank and new fuel hose/primer. Running Pre-mix.

Compression is 120 on all 4.
Fuel pressure is around 6 PSI at idle and goes to 10 PSI when rev.
Stator/Regulator is charging at 12.7v and up/down as would expect. Increases as RPM increases.
New Spark plugs.
Verified spark to all 4.
Put a timing light on it and #1 kicks around a little while 2/3/4 seem to be ok.

My guess is the switch box. Not sure what else it could be.

Thoughts?

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Carbs were good and clean but the mixture screws were all out of wack.. Running good now.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
capping out at 3k RPM.. Anyone have thoughts on that? could trigger be an issue here?

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trigger and switchbox arrived installed new switchbox and it runs smoother but still capped at 3k rpm, It tried to jump up faster a few times which leads me to a faulty trigger.

Also does anyone know how someone could of flipped forward and reverse? (reverse moves forward, and forward moves reverse)

doesn't the stator on this motor have a low and high speed circuit ? time to test the stator ?.....as well as test the rectifier

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Switchbox and trigger installed. Runs smoother but still no WOT.. Could I switch the high/low speed circuits on the stator and see if I get a change?

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the lower unit.. everything looks ok? It did TRY and hit WOT.. I heard it but it never came back. I have not been able to mimic that action..

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
switched high and low side stator leads and it started right up as usual and when I went to go it tried to go. I am just at a dead end here.. It has a new switchbox and trigger...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Swapping out parts gets expensive.-What does a compression test show ?-----Did you look up into the exhaust tuner for blockage ?

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I ordered a stator anyway.. worst case Ill return it if it makes no change..

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Two carbs on that motor. One carb with a floater will kill two cylinders. If the floater moves and lets some fuel buy, those cylinders will kick in. Check the carbs for cleanliness. You may have cleaned them, but there may have been some crud in the fuel lines or pump.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well it has been starting fine and now I have a no start.. Doesnt look like I am getting anything from the fuel pump either so I need to rebuild it now.

what is the difference between a 98766 and a 98766-c1?

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
used fuel pump off my 115 I-6, cleaned carbs again, new needle and floats.. at 4k and sputtering but wont go higher in gear. neutral I can make her scream.