2009 merc 4stroke impeller housing question

Fluxcore

Recruit
Hey guys I swapped out my impeller and upon completion I noticed I don't have a gasket / grommet to slide down the drive shaft that seats in the impeller housing ? Am I missing something ?

Fluxcore

Recruit
There is a VERY thin hard plastic washer between the impeller and housing on the top ?

Brooky

Cadet
I just did mine as well (2001 60 hp 4 stroke) and mine didn't have one when I took it apart and the service manual doesn't show one either. I just put mine back together with the parts that were there in the first place, which didn't include the seal on the outside in the housing.

Brooky

Cadet
No Title

This is from the service manual for my motor.

Attachments

• photo221909.jpg
    photo221909.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0

Fluxcore

Recruit
All good I have the seal between the top of the impeller and housing, most likely the more important one however after inspecting I don't have one on the bottom of the impeller between the plate? Might have been tossed with the old impeller. I think I should be fine with a good gasket seal and the top washer keeping water from coming out the top. I'm done for the season TIME TO ENJOY MY BOAT šŸ˜ƒ thanks guys !

Last edited:

Brooky

Cadet
As I mentioned Fluxcore, I just changed mine on my 2001. I am the original owner of this motor and I know that this is the first time that the impeller has been changed. I had both top and bottom seal washers intact but the bottom one was quite thin. Perhaps yours wore completely out?

Good luck..

Last edited:

emckelvy

Commander
Those plastic washers are there to provide a thrust surface against which the impeller seals. If you don't have one top and bottom of the impeller as the factory intended, it may not pump water properly.

I don't know what the logic is behind the plastic washers, but there they are. Maybe cheaper to replace plastic washers as a wear item than to replace the stainless pump insert and pump plate?

At any rate, if you find your motor pumps water OK, probably not something to get in a knot over. However, if it doesn't pump properly, the missing washer is gonna be the culprit!

BTW a lot of the later motors don't use a "slinger" rubber washer at the top of the pump, another "improvement" I suppose!

HTH & G'luck..........ed

Fluxcore

Recruit
Those plastic washers are there to provide a thrust surface against which the impeller seals. If you don't have one top and bottom of the impeller as the factory intended, it may not pump water properly.

I don't know what the logic is behind the plastic washers, but there they are. Maybe cheaper to replace plastic washers as a wear item than to replace the stainless pump insert and pump plate?

At any rate, if you find your motor pumps water OK, probably not something to get in a knot over. However, if it doesn't pump properly, the missing washer is gonna be the culprit!

BTW a lot of the later motors don't use a "slinger" rubber washer at the top of the pump, another "improvement" I suppose!

HTH & G'luck..........ed

After that explanation it makes perfect sence, the top one is very thin so to be on the safe side I'll replace both. Hopefully I can find them on this site or a part #
Thanks
Dan

Last edited: