Engine tilt lock not working

Simoncohen

Recruit
We have a mariner 8hp outboard - just 2 months old. We have only used it 3 times.
When we try to tilt the engine the tilt lock does not work immediately and the engine just goes back to the down position. We have to try several times (last time it was about 20-30 attempts) before eventually it stays up. We don't really tell any difference between the attempts which work and those which don't.
Can anybody offer a solutions? The boatyard where we bought it have said that they will look at it but they will charge us ?168!

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If its a new motor Sounds more like you need to take it back up to the dealer and ask the salesman how to do it. Once he gets frustrated i bet a tech appears off the clock to see the issue. I wouldnt risk my online reputation if i were them, if they cant show you or wont help you free of charge, dont forget to scathe them. Its kinda like when you buy a new car and the salesman doesnt show you how to set the clock then allows his service department to charge you a labor hour instead of serving his clients. Good luck.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
We have a mariner 8hp outboard - just 2 months old. We have only used it 3 times.
When we try to tilt the engine the tilt lock does not work immediately and the engine just goes back to the down position. We have to try several times (last time it was about 20-30 attempts) before eventually it stays up. We don't really tell any difference between the attempts which work and those which don't.
Can anybody offer a solutions? The boatyard where we bought it have said that they will look at it but they will charge us ?168!

I had the same problem with a Mercury motor, Don't know if they are made the same or not, however, when I tipped the motor up, I hade to move the locking mechanism (little arm) manually into position to hold the motor up and had to move it manually onto position again to let the motor down. I finally got it working on it's own by greasing the heck out of it & also spraying the heck out of it with W-D 40. Once I got her lubed up really excessively, it worked fine after that and I was able to clean off the excess grease and oils from it. Still have to move in manually by hand to let the motor down, but I think that's the way it is designed to work in order for the locking arm to hold the motor up.