Mercury 650 4 cylinder double water pumps

dachidester

Recruit
20150529_164334 (2).jpg I bought this motor for my pontoon boat for two reasons: it was about the right size and it was cheap ($130). As we are restoring it I noticed that there are places for two fuel pumps but that there is only one in the motor. Some previous owner seems to have re plumbed the fuel apparatus to use just one pump. I'm wondering if it is a good thing or a bad thing, and if I should get the lower pump and re plumb it the way that it was meant to be.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Don't look like the bottom one is drilled as depending on year/serial some only used single pump...

dachidester

Recruit
Yep, you were right. It is drilled but not tapped. If I were to tap it and add another pump, would it make it better or would it just be a waste of time and money? How could I find out more about that particular model and how it is supposed to be configured?

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Get the serial number and look up your parts...as for the extra pump don't waste your time. Before spending a lot of time and money on motor check the compression and for spark as if trigger is bad its a good chuck of change..