Stator and switch box.

bollie46

Cadet
My 1983 mercury 80 hp is behaving strange i struggle to get it started and once running it will start consistently, let it sit over night, no spark and back to square one. I have replaced the trigger . Next i am going to replace the stator and switchbox. I am trying to find the best prices on ebay but there are so many diffrent numbers on this two items it blow my mind. I am on a shoe string buget and can not order the wrong parts . Any help in directing me to the right part number will be appreciated. I have gone through a lot of trouble shooting on this motor following directions on this board. And i think it can only be the stator or switchbox. I do not want to risk buying just one and damage the new part because the other old part is at fault.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I researched your engine and there is only one part number listed for the stator, part number 5919A-3, and only one for the switch box it is 5772A-1. Personally I would verify and make absolutely sure which part was causing the problem. Because those parts are not cheap and you shouldn't be buying parts you don't need... A stator can be tested pretty easily. You can use a meter to test it for correct resistance and make sure it is not shorting to ground, and can even check the output to see if it is in range. JMHO.

LundTamer

Cadet
get the serial number off the engine use that on the mercury parts lookup site by typing in your s/n then google search the part numbers based on what shows on the merc site. keep in mind on some motors you need to read the stamped numbers on the stator to confirm the correct replacement (need to pull the flywheel)...
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/.../parts-catalog
https://webapps.brunswick.com/litera...atureSearch.do
Ebay and Amazon have had cheap parts, but for the stator some other sites are pretty competitive per google search.

Also it would pay dividends to download a manual and take some measurements with a dva and dvom to pin-point any spark issues (especially on the switch box and stator both are pricey) there is a sticky on the forum to look up the correct merc manual for your motor... I was able to find an online place to download a pdf of my manual by google searching the part number of it.

Last edited:

LundTamer

Cadet
verify spark at each spark plug.. if not spark there disconnect the kill wire (usually back with yellow stripe - bullet connector near the switch box) try again, still no spark, move to the positive coil connection using a dva to check voltage while cranking... if improper voltage there then move up to the isolate other components regulator, stator, switch box, etc. the merc manual gives good instructions.

here is what my manual says for a different motor:>
1. Intermittent, weak, or no spark output at two spark
plugs usually indicates a bad TRIGGER.
2. Intermittent, weak, or no spark output at all three spark
plugs usually indicates a bad STATOR or SWITCH
BOX.
3. Intermittent, weak, or no spark at any one spark plug
usually indicates a bad SPARK PLUG, COIL, or
SWITCH BOX.

then gives measurement instructions for checking resistance and voltage specific to your setup.

Here is some generic information regarding typical wire color vs. circuit function...

http://www.maxrules.com/fixmercwiringcodes.html

Last edited:

bollie46

Cadet
I tested the stator with the multimeter but could not test the switch box.. Tests that i could do, checked out.. Still i could not get spark. I got fed up and left it with out covers in the sun for a while. went back and tried it one more time and it started right up. It went from magically from no fire to running good. I took this short video to get you guys opinion if i realty need to replace any parts on a motor running like this.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could be when you were trying to test things you moved a wire or connection that is now making better and running. I would start removing and cleaning some wire connections to make sure everything keeps running...

bollie46

Cadet
yes sir i think i will start all over with all the wiring unwrap the harnesses and inspect. How do i remove that broken video link in my previous post it will not let me.

Last edited: