1990 Mariner 90HP Sometimes Won't Start

Atlanta_Mariner

Recruit
My least favorite engine problem, especially for a boat, is one that only shows up now and then, and generally in the middle of the lake, but that's what I have here.

When this happens, you turn the key and hear a "click" and nothing else. Sounds like a stuck solenoid, but interestingly, when it happens, you hear the same sound if you push the power tilt and trim up or down.

At first there were fuses blowing and a mechanic said he found a short in the controller that was causing it. Then a weak battery was blamed once fuses stopped blowing, and it is true that it cranked again with a fresh battery, but an hour later, out on the lake (several miles from the dock) "click" was all we heard when we went to start.

The mechanic blamed and claims to have replaced the starter with a new one and then it was suggested that the starter was causing the fuses to blow before, only it doesn't look new to me. In any case, we had a dead battery again today (a long story-- another mechanic's mistake) so I put in yet another fully charged, new battery, and it cranked right up. Drove it, stopped. It cranked again-- repeated this exercise maybe a half-dozen times. Great, it works now...

We drove maybe a mile from the dock and anchored. Cranked it back up a few times-- all was well. Maybe 30 minutes later, I turned the key and again "click" and nothing more. Called for assistance. Still on the water, the cowl was removed and a loose ground connection was found above the solenoids-- but before we found it, we observed that the tilt and trim was making a similar click and also no more (no actual tilting). Once it cranked, tilt and trim were back too. Okay we snugged up the ground and all was well. Cranked it several times. Let it sit maybe 15 minuted and re-cranked. No problem, and I repeatedly re-cranked every 10 or 15 minutes for an hour or more. Tilt also worked, running or not at this point.

Problem solved. (Yay!) So finally I cranked up and drove back to the dock. I let it idle as I got it ready to go into the slip, but it stalled just off the dock. Went to re-crank and... "click". Same thing with the tilt and trim again-- "click".

Okay, so maybe the connection shook loose again? No-- still tight. Maybe a loose main ground cable? No-- nice and tight. Battery charge low? No, close to 13v on the meter and a separate digital multimeter, and it has done this on multiple fully-charged, nearly new batteries.

Maybe a bad switch? No, it fails to work the same way when you short the solenoid connections with a screwdriver to bypass the start position in the switch.

There are multiple solenoids in play and all wires appear to be tight. There is no sign of corrosion apart from typical surface issues, and those were cleaned and a high-quality contact cleaner applied. There is no way that multiple solenoids have intermittent failures which all fail or work at the same time, then come back to working at the same time. Apart from the main ground cable having an issue, I'm stumped, and if the main ground to the battery is bad, how can ANYTHING be clicking on the engine? It takes power to make a solenoid throw and make that sound.

Making this extra complex. the boat lives on the lake, 60 miles from home. I have two mechanics scratching their heads over all this, and this is out in the country so there aren't many more options. Changing the main ground means a 120 mile loop of a drive for me, so I'd really like some extra ideas and suggestions before I go and try that.

Any thoughts... anyone? Is there something I'm missing? Is this a common failure on these outboards?

Thanks!

Tater72958

Cadet
Someone else will poke their head in soon.
A solenoid takes little power to make it click and little ground also. You may have a bad ground or power cable that is rotten somewhere under the coating. Or a crimped cable end that isnt making good connection all the time. But im an auto mechanic not a boat mechanic.
Just my 2 cents

Bondo

Staff member
There is no sign of corrosion apart from typical surface issues, and those were cleaned and a high-quality contact cleaner applied.

There is no way that multiple solenoids have intermittent failures which all fail or work at the same time, then come back to working at the same time. Apart from the main ground cable having an issue,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I agree with tater,....

Sprayin' junk on the connections don't clean squat,....
Removin', sandin, 'n cleanin' to Shiny metal Clean, Does,....
Coat 'em with grease after to keep 'em that way,....

'n the Bad Ground pretty much explains the whole thing,...
It can pass voltage, but not the amperage when called upon,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'd also check the battery voltage when trying to crank. It certainly can be a bad ground and I would actually remove ALL the connections (including the battery connections as well) and clean to bright shiny metal and reattach. But also check the alternator output as well. Because it sounds like the battery isn't getting any charge while running too... JMHO!

Tater72958

Cadet
A close friend of mine has a 90hp 3 cylinder that we are talking about. Ill look things over in the morning and maybe i can find you a place to look over.

Tater72958

Cadet
Ok so now that i got the above boat at my house with a bad stator.... Your problem could be in a few place.
Check the battery connection first. I donk what kind of ends your cables have but give them a good pull. If the end moves need to replace it.
Check the connection on the motor start solenoide. Their is two wires on one post. Take them off and clean with a wire brush.
Check the ground cable on the the motor. Its held on by a starter bolt. Remove both the bolts and the starter bracket. Clean the bracket and the surface where it meets the block.
Try cleaning everything up first. If that doesnt work then get a pair of jumper cable and take them with you.
The next time it just clicks. Take the jumper cable and run from just the hot post on the battery to the hot post on the starter solenoid. And try to start. If it still just clicks.
Remove the jumper cables
Run it from just the ground post to a good ground on the motor and try to start.
If it starts then you know where you need to look closer. Either ground or hot.
Hope this helps