Bad Voltage Regulator??

Skeeter54

Seaman
I discovered yesterday that the wires on my Voltage regulator were bad on my 1984 Mercury 115HP. I am not getting any fire from my spark plugs. Would this be the cause? Also, I replaced the impeller and reinstalled the lower unit. Now it will not go in neutral even though my throttle is in neutral. Would this be the cause of the spark plugs not firing. I've heard I don't necessarily need the voltage regulator for it to fire and that it was for charging the battery etc...

Skeeter54

Seaman
Yes sir I did reconnect it but I read somewhere if you turn the shift linkage even a hair it will be off. I also read there is a trick to getting it back on right (pulling it off when in reverse, putting it back on when in reverse, something like that etc.,..)

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would pull the foot again. Verify operation manually. Then reinstall.

mike

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seem you have a multitude of issues and they surprisingly are not connected... Obviously you reinstalled the shifter linkage incorrectly and will have to redo that. But certainly not Earth shattering either. The wires to the rectifier will only keep the charging system from charging your battery properly. The fact that you have no spark is a totally different issue as well and you need to work back towards what triggers or fires the spark coils... Post some pictures and your efforts and we can help you through each issue...

Skeeter54

Seaman
Thanks everyone. I did determine I will have to pull it and put it back on but what is the proper procedure so I dont have the issue again. Also, here is the picture of what I am calling the voltage regulator, which is bad. IMG_7035.JPG.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7035.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_7035.JPG.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 2

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ahhhh, That's the power pack or power module. It could be the cause of your spark issue. But.... The wiring looks nasty. I would go though the wiring first. The module could be ok. That's piece of missing wire is not helping ;-). I have not played with mercury motors. In the third pic is that the wiring for the timing base? It sure looks like that wire was fried and not just corroded.

Mike

Skeeter54

Seaman
thats the wiring from the power pack. It is corrosion that killed it I just got frustrated and pulled it apart. lol. So i guess my first step is to replace that

emckelvy

Commander
That module is the Idle Speed Stabilizer, and the best thing to do with that is to disconnect it and throw it away! These things are notorious for failing and when they do, usually they affect the engine timing such that it's advanced too far, and that'll burn pistons from detonation.

So, remove the Idle Stabilizer, repair any other wiring that looks bad, then troubleshoot the root cause of your non-functioning ignition.

I'd start with resistance checks of the stator and trigger, then branch out from there.

Here's some good info from CDI Electronics on troublshooting Merc ADI motors, start at page 70 for your ignition:

http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/doc...t.xml&backgroundColor=000000&showFlipBtn=true

HTH..........ed

Skeeter54

Seaman
Well that helps greatly. Spent a bit trying to find one but it was tough. And when I did it wasnt cheap. I will try that and then move onto the next issue of not being able to get into neutral. Lower unit re-install. Thanks emckelvy