1970 Mercury 110 9.8hp Kill Switch Wiring

Mercury Tom

Recruit
I am having a problem with this motor's kill switch wiring.

The story is, the person I had bought the motor from, removed the kill switch and I am not sure where to wire it back.
I am not sure if it was for a "no-start" situation or why he did it in the first place. After testing the switch, with my Ohmeter, it is working exactly as it should for this Thunderbolt style ignition.

Kill = Open Circuit
Untouched = Closed Circuit

I will post some image links of what I have and I hope someone here can tell me where to wire them back properly.

In this first image, you can see the model and where he removed the switch from...

sR9X9Ac.jpg

In this next picture, you will simply see the side of the motor...

MWlXIdJ.jpg

In this final picture, you will see the wires attached to the insulated bridge...

oBOhJv9.jpg

Here on the left there is an Orange/Tan looking wire and on the right there is a White looking wire.

I know that the White wire on the Kill Switch is grounded. The Orange wire is on the pushed/open the circuit side.

My question is, do I simply attach the orange to orange from the Kill and white to white to ground?

I don't want to burn something. The only way to stop this motor is to Choke it out. :(

Very much appreciated for any input on this. Please and thank you. :)

Tom

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
On my 1967, which is basically the same motor, the Orange or tan, goes to the switch and I have a black instead of white for ground and it goes to a small screw lug ground next to the kill switch mount.

Mercury Tom

Recruit
On my 1967, which is basically the same motor, the Orange or tan, goes to the switch and I have a black instead of white for ground and it goes to a small screw lug ground next to the kill switch mount.

Thank you for your quick reply, very very much.
The ground is indeed about 1/2" from the kill switch itself as you have stated. Just to mention, it is on the outer casing.
Being the "nearest" closed circuit, I am guessing that is what will interrupt the circuit and cause the stall?

Reason I am asking is because the 2 wires in the image are insulated. My guess is if one is actually grounded, it will be interrupted with the open circuit?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My ground wire does not go through the terminal block, it is direct wired and the tan wire goes through the terminal block. Basically when you push the switch you are grounding out the motor to kill the ignition and stop the motor, so it really does not matter where the ground wire is grounded.

Mercury Tom

Recruit
Thank you again for the reply. :)

Do you have the thunderbolt ignition?
As far as I understand, this works opposite.
This system needs to open the circuit rather than close it to ground. Mine is a 1970 model.
When I push my kill, it actually opens the circuit, and when not pushed, it closes it.

Hmmmmmm... Maybe if I just try and hook up the tan to tan and ground to ground as it looks to be intended?

Can something bad happen?

Again, I am not sure why he removed the switch to begin with. I think he had some sort of no-start situation and removed the kill switch wiring.
In the end, he may have simply been out of gas or something.

Again, thank you very much MT! very much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Mercury Tom

Recruit
Thank you both very much. The diagrams will help immensely! :)
Will let you guys/gals know as soon as possible.
You both have no idea how much I appreciate this! :hail:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Once you get it together and working, DO NOT USE IT! Choke the motor to stop it. Using the stop button can kill the donut under the flywheel as the flywheel spin-down sends out voltage that has nowhere to go.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have never killed the donut on mine and I have owned this motor since 1980? I have used both, to kill the motor, the only ill effect I have had, is after all of these years I had to replace the carb due to a bad float in the carb, so figured I would just put a rebuilt on it. But after all of these years, the engine still runs great and I use the kill switch most of the time.