Mercury Mark 28

Thenewb

Cadet
Hello everybody, I am looking at buying a family friend's mercury mark 28, serial number 1175074, which if I'm not mistaken makes it a 1958. This one has tiller controls, I will need to find remote controls for the application I want to use it in. It still turns over good , but the recoil is sticky, and I know the carb will need a rebuild along with servicing everything again, he had the lower unit serviced 15 years ago, used it a couple times, then put it in storage. Neither of us know anything about value, and I was wondering what a fair price would be. Iv been looking at craigslist, and non-running engines in similar condition seem to be going for $150-$200. Is this a fair price to offer him?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't offer over a hundred for it, there is lots of little things that can go wrong with a motor that has sit for 15 years.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thenewb, I agree with MT, any engine that sits, especially that long, is going to have a lot of issues to get it running again. The water impellor is gone and will need to have that replace first. Most all the rubber parts will probably be deteriorating and need replaced too... So just know up front, you will be buying some parts to get it running in good condition to use again. And if you do buy it, also buy the manufacturer's original engine, year, HP specific shop manual. Don't buy an after market version but the manufacturer's original shop manual. It will be worth every penny! JMHO

Thenewb

Cadet
Where would I go about finding the manufacture's shop manual? Does anyone reprint them?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would look for a shop manual on ebay, I just noticed there is a impeller on ebay right now for the Mark 28A and they want $50 bucks for it, so take into account what parts are going to cost for a motor that old, sometimes they get real expensive the older they get.

Thenewb

Cadet
I just watched an instructional video on how to change the impeller on any of the 1958 mercs with the "Automatic Transmission" and I am no longer sure I want to tackle this motor. It looked absolutely brutal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the old Mark motors make great conversation pieces when restored. However unless you are looking for a period correct motor for a vintage speed boat, you can get a mid 80's motor for similar price (its only half as old).

I have both a Mark 20 and a Mark 25. both need every bit of rubber replaced, so they currently sit until I have time to simply tinker.

Thenewb

Cadet
What engine would you guys recommend to me as a viable engine choice. I'm looking for a 20-30 horse engine, year doesn't matter, but part availability, serviceability, and reliability along with having remote controls are major factors to me. Any ideas?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Honestly if you want a good reliable engine, try to find something from Mercury(newer) or a Johnson/Evinrude, there are a heck of a lot of them around and they can be had for a reasonable cost, you can find remote stuff for them pretty inexpensively. I am sitting here fighting with a Tohatsu right now and after fiddling for 2 weeks, I will keep to my old Mercury!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The controls for the Mark 28 are special and quite rare.-------Find yourself a Johnson / Evinrude 20 / 25 / 30 model of the 1980 to 2000 years .----They sold lots of them and parts new and used are readily available.

Thenewb

Cadet
I think I found myself a winner. Its a 1965 Evinrude 18 that comes with its original controls and gas tank. Just had its carbs rebuilt last year and it runs, pumps water, and shifts perfectly for the price of $200. Thoughts?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a decent buy to me, if it will fit your needs, then that is the one you should probably go with.