Trying to get an 15HP marine running

matramurena

Recruit
Hi, I have been given an old Mariner 15. It lacks an fuel-pump and has a cable with to connections loose so I hope I can get it running again. However I can't find out what modelyear/model it exactly is. I looked all over the net but my s/n doesn't seem to excist.. The plate names the engine a Mariner 15 651 L 45435.

It has two spark-plugs, each going to their own module. From each module a bi-wre runs to a connection with watertight a sealing. One of each set goes on to the "STOP" button on the engine, the others are not connected. There is also a biwire hanging loose comming from the top of the engine. The simple conclusion might be that these have to be connected to the two loose ends of the other wires.. However the connections that are loose are all male, so it can't be directly fitted. What device should be in between these wires?

I hope someone can help me out on this and that I can go and test the engine to see if it will run. (turns nicely when pulling the string..)

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a quick search and found this link http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/page/608072

The L does not appear to be part of the SN.

The serial string looks to start in 1975 @ 651-43696 - and then picks up again in 77 with 651-47246 -. And nothing in 76 I guess because there was no ML version that year.

mike

matramurena

Recruit
Thank you very much! I had a closer look at the loose wiring in the engine and it seems that the stop-botton of the engine is deliberately disconnected. Maybe becuase it stopped the engine when not wanted... Left in the pic are the connectors where 2 wires are disconnected, these go from this connector to the stop switch. To the right the two loose wires comming from the top of the engine.. (my guess the wires that would stop the engine )

What I want to do is connect a fuel line and try to start the engine with the fueltank above it so that it should run on gravity fed fuel. If that works it would probably run with a new fuel pump installed.

Regards,
Martijn

Attachments

• DSCN2530.JPG
    DSCN2530.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 0