Merc 70 possibly blown up in driveway - stupid human tricks

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor is an oil injected 70 with an oil pump that still works (probably going to bypass it soon). I installed new controls this past weekend and was trying to get it running on muffs. Boat sat in the garage for 1.5 years while I restored it. I had a hard time moving the idle speed lever and I (in hindsight) suspect that it stuck open at the motor. Anyway, finally started running and was howling like a banshee. High RPMs. I assumed (wrongly) that it was excess gas I had pumped in while priming and let it go for a few seconds. Prop was spinning fast so just to be sure it was not in gear I moved it to F and then back to N. At the same time I realized it was time to shut it down and as I shut it down, or because I shut it down, I heard a bang.

Engine stopped dead. Powerhead was too hot to ouch. Starter would engage but it would not turn over. Let it sit and came back to it today. Removed lower - it spins. Removed plugs and shot PB Blaster into the cylinders. I can rotate the flywheel 3/4 of a turn with no problem but it will not go all the way around and there is a definite "catch" or resistance so I have not forced it.

I appreciate any advice. This broke my heart because I worked like a galley slave to get the boat finished for Memorial Day :/

Dave

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the replies. Explanation makes sense. Any ideas of what it should reasonably cost a shop to rebuild?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
What year is the motor? If a shop does the work, you're not likely to get out of it for anything less than $1500. If it's an older motor, you could find a lot of decent used outboards for that kind of money.