Mercury remote wire plug

udusted

Cadet
I want to remove the circle plug from the remote box to my outboard motor. 1976 mercury 850. Does this just unplug? I tried pulling on it and it wouldn't come easy and didn't want to break anything. Thanks

merc850

Commander
The plug is molded onto the wire that goes to the control, you split the control box and pull out the wires;switch;neutral switch;choke.

merc850

Commander
It is held in by a clamp that has 2 bolts accessible from the top of the clamp.

udusted

Cadet
I am having some starting issues sometimes I try to start and no power. I have narrowed it down to the wire harness. Its for a 1976 mercontrol and 850 mercury outboard. I think the positive or negative wire is broken from turning motor to far and the wire harness hook attached to motor broke it

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You can repair a broken wire in the quick disconnect plug. You need to cut open the wiring harness near the quick disconnect plug, and find the broken wire. Now pull out the sleeve that was previously connected to and drill a hole in the plug to meet the spot where the sleeve was. Solder a new wire to the original harness wire, feed it thru the hole in the plug and solder it to the sleeve. Push the sleeve back into the plug and seal the new wire with some silicone. It is kinda like doing heart bypass surgery......

udusted

Cadet
Thanks Chris that's helpful hopefully I have steady hands I'm going to do a contunity test tonight to see what wire then look for it

udusted

Cadet
So I continuity test and pretty sure its on the negative wire. I cut a little bit up where it rested on the hook hoping to see the wire was damaged there but nothing. I am pretty sure im going to have to do the heart surgery on it so were the negative pin is I drill out directly behind in then drill out the existing wire. After that shove the new wire through the hole and solder where I drilled directly behind it and fill with silicone? I also noticed now that I have been playing with the wire harness my RPM's on the gauge aren't working. I am assuming I might have broke this wire as well. Any idea on this? Thanks for all your help

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The negative wire on that plug will be a real heavy one, as it needs to operate the starter. Is that the one you are targeting?