Water pump seal direction

Jhoppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1971 1350 Inline 6 and I'm wanting to verify the UPPER water pump seal is installed correctly. Please note i am asking about the seal that fits into the upper water pump housing. Dose this seal fit in with the lip facing up towards the motor to prevent air from being sucked into the water pump or is it installed with the lip facing down to seal water into the water pump?

It was installed with the lip facing up towards the motor just want to be sure that is correct Thank You in advance for any help, Hoppy

emckelvy

Commander
Lips-up is correct for housings that actually have a seal. Later-style pump housings don't have a seal, it's not necessary in the 1st place. The ribs on the center of the impeller seal up against the top of the pump insert; no other seal is necessary.

Be sure you also install the rubber "slinger" ring which just slides down the driveshaft and seats against the top of the pump body. I like to put a little waterproof marine grease (such as Sta-Lube blue boat bearing grease) up there too and slide the slinger down on the grease. The slinger keeps grit/trash from falling into the pump and grinding away at things.

HTH..........ed

Jhoppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you emckelvy for the conformation on the seal direction and good to know the later-style pump housings don't have a seal, yes i will install a slinger.

As far as the drive shaft goes Mi duckdown you called it the driveshaft has had better days and is very pitted in the water pump area and somewhat pitted in the upper gear case seal area, i replaced the gear case seals about six years ago and looked for a replacement driveshaft then but could not find one like i needed, It dose hold 80-90 in and lake water out reasonably well for now so I'm not to worried about it.

Thanks, Hoppy

emckelvy

Commander
If the seal area gets bad enough that oil starts leaking by the seals, you can install a couple of stainless Speedi-Sleeves (aka Redi-Sleeve, etc). They are available in various sizes and there are sizes that fit the shaft diameter.

The sleeves tap into place over the worn area and work very well. You'd need (2) sleeves to cover the area that the (2) seals ride on.

Not cheap, but much less effort and $$ than dismantling the L/U, removing driveshaft and either having it weld-repaired or finding a new driveshaft (Big $$$!).

Mi duckdown

Commander
jhoppy. do the speedi sleeves. and never worry about again. wish They had them 20 years ago when I rebuilt those shafts