Cracked fuel pump

Hi I have a 1968 110 9.8hp mercury it has a crack were the fuel line goes into the fuel pump I was wondering if any one knows were I could find another one or if there is any way I could use a different pump from a different motor thanks

emckelvy

Commander
Those pumps can be hard to find and very expensive. The sellers on eBay think all their used fuel pumps are made of gold!

A lot of the old JohnRude dudes are converting their pressure-tank motors over to single-line connection and are using this type of Briggs & Stratton fuel pump:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121437514737

For $8.65, I don't know how you could find a cheaper pump, and it's got an in-out, probably has a screen in the inlet, it has a separate vacuum spigot, and a mounting flange. There's lots of room on the Stbd side to bolt-up a mounting bracket to mount the pump. The nice thing about these is, they're so cheap that if the pump ever fails, you don't even need to bother to buy a rebuild kit, just replace it with a new one!

HTH.............ed

emckelvy

Commander
Yeah, fuel inlet for the gas line coming in from the connector; fuel outlet for the line going to the carb, and the vacuum hose coming off the intake port cover goes to the vacuum fitting on the pump.

I'd venture to say that the fitting in the cover of the pump is the inlet. The outlet is probably the one right next to the inlet, pointing in the same direction.

Easy enough to prove, since the check valves in the pump flow in one direction only. So blow thru the inlet, and you should get flow in one direction only, thru the outlet.

The vacuum port will not flow at all, since that port goes to the diaphragm and vacuum pulses move the diaphragm back and forth to pump fuel.

HTH.........ed

emckelvy

Commander
The pump cannot operate without a vacuum port, if you examine it carefully, you'll find that in addition to the fuel lines there is a fitting on the back side of the pump that attaches via a hose, to another fitting on the intake port cover.

The only exception to this are pumps that bolt directly to the block where there is a vacuum passage, then they don't need a separate fitting or vacuum line.

Attached is a diagram of your pump, let me know if it doesn't look like this, someone may have changed the pump to a different style. Or, post a couple of pics of the front and rear of your pump. HTH..........ed

Merc 9_8 Early Fuel Pump.gif

Edit: Here's a fuel pump on eBay with pics that show all 3 ports on the pump:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291115953742

Last edited: