Mercury 9.8 - 1981 - NO WATER FLOW - HELP

Bassn7

Seaman
I took my motor to the dealer and he told me the blockage is in the head/block. (Impeller and water up tube working great.) He said that the service would cost more than just buying another used motor. I have tons of time and lots of tools. Where should I start and have others solved this issue? Where is this "melted tube"/ "melted grommet" that I see on Google responses? HELP. Thanks for any guidance here.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Very common for the plastic washer at the top of the tube to melt and block water flow.--------4 screws remove the lower " horse shoe " cowling.---------Then some wires and the fuel line at the carburetor.----------6 nuts and the powerhead comes off.------Simple work.----------If that is the issue then the factory replacement is a better material.

Bassn7

Seaman
Racerone,
This plastic washer is located on the bottom of the powerhead? Easy to see or the powerhead needs to come apart too? Thanks for additional info before I attack.

Marty

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I made no mention of having to take the powerhead apart !!---This washer is at the top of the water tube.

emckelvy

Commander
Racerone,
This plastic washer is located on the bottom of the powerhead? Easy to see or the powerhead needs to come apart too? Thanks for additional info before I attack.

Marty

You just need to pull the powerhead, then the exhaust tuner plate is accessible. The water tube grommet sits in the tuner plate, with the tube in the grommet. The plastic washer is placed on top of the rubber grommet and this keeps the grommet from shifting upwards (and also promotes a good seal). The old-style plastic washers did warp with heat, in extreme cases they would squeeze shut and restrict water flow. The upgraded washer is made of phenolic or other temperature-resistant material and doesn't warp like the old one did.

You'll want to pull the lower unit before you pull the powerhead. If you have an air compressor, you can put a rubber hose on the end of the water tube and blow air up the tube to check for flow. Or, run water up the tube. You'll know right away if the flow is restricted.

Note that if you pull the powerhead and don't find a problem with the water tube/grommet/washer, likely the water passages in the powerhead are silted/corroded. With the powerhead on the bench, pretty easy to work on the water jacket cover (over the spark plugs) and the exhaust manifold. Use extreme caution, if any bolts don't break loose with normal force on the wrench, you'll need to apply heat from a propane or MAPP torch to help free them. Very easy to twist the bolt head right off of the 1/4" bolts.

It's very common to see a lot of silt and corrosion products inside the block, all this silt builds up and restricts water flow.

However, if you pull the powerhead and find a bad washer/grommet, there you go. Pull out the grommet, water tube, scrape the cavity where the grommet goes, and install new parts. A thin coating of Permatex #3 in the cavity, on the grommet, and on the outside of the water tube, will prevent any corrosion products from building up and squeezing-shut the grommet/water tube.

HTH............ed

Bassn7

Seaman
Once I have the powerhead off..should the blocked passages be cleared with just air or can I use a wire to poke into them to break loose a blockage. I don't want to damage anything. As always, thank you so much for helping me. I will update on status.

Marty

emckelvy

Commander
You can puff air thru the bottom of the block, where the water comes in. It'll be pretty evident if there's free flow thru the block. To remove any built-up corrosion products causing a blockage, you'd have to start removing covers.

The water jacket cover at the back of the block gives you a lot of access to the water passages around the cylinders, and that's the most common area for a blockage/silt buildup.

Less common are problems with the exhaust manifold, I just mention it because sometimes it is necessary to tear everything apart if the corrosion buildup is extreme.

Ronwanda

Recruit
What did you find? I have a problem that water is not circulating, comes up the water jacket and stops. nothing to the pee hole. Help if you see this??

Bassn7

Seaman
The small plastic seal was melted! Sure enough and easy to see. Covers and power head came off easy and there it was! THANK YOU! $1.80 for the new part!