90 HP Inline 6 No Power

NWMI

Recruit
This winter I bought a fishing boat with a 1986 90 HP Merc inline 6. I went through the carbs because it would idle OK but no power when I open the throttle. I checked compression with good results, 115-120 on all 6. Really strange, it sounds too quiet with the throttle open and runs very smooth but there is no power, won't get the boat on plane. I had it out for a few hours of messing around and once it took off like crazy for about 2 seconds then back to no power again and I couldn't recreate that. I bought a manual and plan to sync the system but I don't think that should affect output this much. Any ideas?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My guess is ignition, like you are only running on 3 then the other 3 kick in. Corroded electrical connection associated with the triggers.....signal, power, ground.

emckelvy

Commander
Or a bad hi-speed stator winding, a very common problem. You can check resistance of the high and low-speed windings with a meter. Or, pick up an inexpensive "DVA adapter" and do active-testing, the voltage readings will tell you a lot.

Link to cheap Digital Voltage Adapter: http://www.americastoolwarehouse.com/automotive-tools/ESI-640.html

LInk to CDI Electronics troubleshooting information for outboard ignition systems:

http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/doc...t.xml&backgroundColor=000000&showFlipBtn=true

Start at Page 70 for Mercury ADI (Alternator Driven Ignition)

HTH...........ed

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Does she die when you give it throttle, or is there no change? If she dies, the idle mixtures on the carbs could be set too lean.

NWMI

Recruit
I will check the stator windings. Thanks for the replies. It doesn't die, the first quarter throttle feels a little week then then I can go from there to full with no change in power but the motor actually sounds quieter.