mercury wont start.

wedge73

Cadet
Hello everyone
I have a 60 h p 4 stroke mercury it's a 2004. Engine won't start. I have voltage to the solenoid 12 volts. on the control side of the solenoid I'm only getting 9.8 volts when I turn the key. when I disconnect the solenoid and turn the key I get the full 12 volts. I have installed 2 new batteries and I have jump across the solenoid and the engine does start. is the solenoid my problem?

Dpete22

Recruit
Newbie here
I have a 70 HP 1987 Mercury with the same type of problem
I have power to the solenoid but nothing after
I have replaced the solenoid but the same thing
If ii jump across the solenoid the motor cranks????????
Help.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
low battery voltage. look for current draws that are draining battery. voltage should be close to 13 v.

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you only getting 9.8 volts at solenoid control? Does your battery voltage drop to this when you turn key? Check input voltage to key switch. Whatever is coming in should have pretty close going out. Sounds like bad switch.

wedge73

Cadet
I did not think to check it at the switch. Back at the solenoid, I unplugged it (the control side) and got the full 12 volts (when the key was turned) but after reconnecting the solenoid is when I'm only seeing the 9.8 volts on the control side. The load side to the starter is fine. I used a screwdriver and went across, it fired right up. I'm thinking I should have used a jumper wire straight from the battery to the solenoid control side just to see if its the solenoid. So it sounds like the key switch? I can only assume because the battery is brand new. I bought it Friday and installed. I have been fighting slow starts that's why I replaced the 2007 battery. But I'm thinking the slow starts may have overloaded the current rating on the key switch (only guessing here)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A weak battery can't overload the rating on the switch. All the switch does is supply the voltage/current to the energizing terminal of the solenoid. The starter load through the solenoid is the heavy duty draw.

When you used the screwdriver, did the starter crank slow or fast? Have you cleaned the starter and solenoid connections? Are the cables in good shape?

wedge73

Cadet
When I used the screwdriver it was a very fast start. Fastest I have seen in a long time. (because of the new battery I'm guessing) Yes, I have cleaned connections on the starter and the solenoid. The wires are in great shape, no burns on cracking.

wedge73

Cadet
I did notice the trim up/down on the throttle is not working now either (the one on the motor works fine). Any way the two are related? Maybe a grounded switch?

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, if you jump straight from battery positive to solenoid control wire and it cranks over fine, your problem is with the switch or it's wiring. Since trim isn't working either, I would say wiring.

wedge73

Cadet
Thanks for all the help guys. I will hopefully report back good news after I work on it this weekend. I have decided to roll the dice and purchase a new ignition switch as well as a new trim switch (since its not working either)

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well anybody can just throw parts at something. That sometimes fixes the problem but usually ends up costing you more. Checking the voltage drop at the switch and the start circuit would tell you what you need.

wedge73

Cadet
enginepower I hear ya loud and clear. My situation is, my boat is about an hour from me and I can only work on it on weekends. I found a switch for 20 bucks on Overton's' website. I would rather have the suspected part than not have it. Before I switch it out, I will check the voltage drop at the switch and finish checking out the ignition circuit. Worst case is I have an extra ignition switch.