20hp spun prop or one way clutch

tink65

Cadet
I have a 79-80 mercury tiller I just bought. When I changed the lower unit lube I noticed the prop will spin when its in forward gear (only in one direction) and makes a clicking sound Prop does not spin in reverse. Do these lower units have a oneway clutch? It does release in the right direction to let the motor over rev if the prop suddenly stops...
I only ask because, come to find out, its a 17inch shaft on a 20inch transom, and last night (first time with new boat on water) I had issues with over revving, but I could clearly see the prop was aerating. Someone else had suggested a spun prop, and I want a second opinion

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yes, the forward gear has a dog clutch and works exactly as you described.

Spun prop? Possible, but your motor is too short for the transom. The prop is too high in the water by about 5 inches. I'll guess you have a short shaft or 15" motor.

tink65

Cadet
Thanks for confirming that. With my 280lb fishing buddy sitting beside me in the back, we could open up the throttle but the bow was so high i couldnt see where i was going :p i know the motor is too short, i didnt think the 3inches would make such an impact. just one more way i got rolled on this boat project