What is this for?

X'N

Cadet
I'm replacing my reeds in my 1999 75HP outboard (S/N 0G923958). While I was scraping off the old gaskets I saw this piece (looks like an orifice of some sort) in the lower cylinder and noticed that it was missing from the center cylinder. FYI there is no casting for this port on the upper cylinder. Do I need to get it for my middle cylinder If so what is the name of it I can't really come up with what part it is on the parts break down. FYI its located in the block behind the reed cage.

Attachments

• photo221246.jpg
    photo221246.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221247.JPG
    photo221247.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually searched your engine using the serial number you provided and looked at the breakdown for your engine and they don't show anything like that in the cylinder black. They do show two different types of check valves but not where that are actually located. And there was three check valves listed as well. One with a part number and the other two with a different part number. So can't say I helped you at all... :noidea:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need 2 of those check valves.-------Take the one you have to the dealer to get the correct replacements.----They do wear out.

X'N

Cadet
Found out they are check valves for the fuel recovery system. There are 2 styles one is a brass tap in check valve and the other I have shown above needs the carrier and the check valve.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The one on the # 2 cylinder actually comes from # 1 cylinder.--The one on the # 3 cylinder comes from # 2 cylinder.--The bottom cylinder goes back to # 1 via a hose I believe.