9.9 HP mariner outboard water pump question

Slebaron

Cadet
Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a 1989 Landau 15 flat bottom boat with a 9.9 mariner on the back. I believe the motor is the factor motor that came with the boat so i am making the assumption the motor is also a 1989.

When i start the motor at idle the water trickles out of the hole then stops - however when in gear and running the water pushes out a nice steady stream as it should. My question is should the pump push a nice steady stream of water at all times even in neutral or at idle? Or is this operation correct? i have also read on here that it may take ~5 minutes for the vavle to open to start the water stream. I let the motor run at idle for about 5 minutes with no sucess but when in gear and running the stream is nice and steady.

Any help would be appricated!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I am not sure because of the year but most have a thermostat that opens and closes due to water tamp and shuts off the pee stream, i suspect thats what your seeing and its normal

Slebaron

Cadet
I checked today once I got home and i do not have a thermostat. I would assume the motor did not come with one since the bolts do not look like they have ever been touched

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Being such an oldie better change complete water pump kit, impeller vanes could be extremely hardened and pump loosing water pressure at idle. Engine should pee as a teen ager when at idle. Peeing port is an indicator that water pump is doing its homework correctly while peeing.

On newer engines thermo doesn't close peeing port, just maintains correct cylinder head working temp for engine to run as was designed to run. Don't know about very old ones, anyway inspect water pump.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Slebaron

Cadet
Thanks sea rider! I guess I'll pull the lower unit apart this weekend. Would anyone happen to have a service manual for this? Also, where would be a good place to purchase a pump rebuild kit? Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks sea rider! I guess I'll pull the lower unit apart this weekend. Would anyone happen to have a service manual for this? Also, where would be a good place to purchase a pump rebuild kit? Thanks!

Well I thought I was replying to this post but something went hay wire. Trying again, iboats can help you on both counts: They sell pumps and internal parts like impellers and sell Seloc manuals or online subscriptions which I used because I had instant access to a manual once I applied my credit card. I agree that your impeller apparently is worn down and time to fix her.

Slebaron

Cadet
Thanks a lot for you help, I will take a look. Before I start looking or buying parts can anyone confirm the year of the motor per the serial number? Serial: 0C181035

Slebaron

Cadet
Well I thought I was replying to this post but something went hay wire. Trying again, iboats can help you on both counts: They sell pumps and internal parts like impellers and sell Seloc manuals or online subscriptions which I used because I had instant access to a manual once I applied my credit card. I agree that your impeller apparently is worn down and time to fix her.

Texasmark, do you know if the water pump repair kits on this forum comes with the top rubber gasket that goes on top of the cylinder plate that the impeller goes into? I am unsure what it's called but it seals the top pump assembly and connects to the tube that brings the water into the top motor

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I recently purchased one of the iboats kits for my '82 30 HP Mariner. It came with two gaskets - the one that goes on the bottom of the housing base plate and the one that goes on top of the base plate and seals the impeller housing. Nothing higher up than that.

BTW, compare the thickness of the gasket in the kit with the one that is currently installed. The one with my kit was way thinner than the one I had - result: poor output from the pump. I had to cut my own from thicker material to get a good flow. I've got a post on here somewhere with my kit experience - there were a couple of other issues when comparing the stuff in the kit with OEM. But, when OEM shows up as NLA, watta you gonna do?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully this problem is engine specific. Maybe the 9.8 is the correct thickness. On having to redo the gasket, real PIA to have her all back together thinking you've finished the project when you have to tear back into it and improvise. On the bright side second time around was easier than the first. Grin

Slebaron

Cadet
I purchased my kits through I boats last night. Customer experience was very helpful! I should have my parts tomorrow for an install Friday.
Upon pulling the lower unit I was surprised that everything seemed to be in pretty good shape, even the impeller. The only thing I noticed was the very top rubber seal that connects the pump to the water tube (the one that delivers water from the pump to the engine) seemed to have a slight crack in it.

I will keep everyone updated once I receive the kit and how I make out on the install

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I purchased my kits through I boats last night. Customer experience was very helpful! I should have my parts tomorrow for an install Friday.
Upon pulling the lower unit I was surprised that everything seemed to be in pretty good shape, even the impeller. The only thing I noticed was the very top rubber seal that connects the pump to the water tube (the one that delivers water from the pump to the engine) seemed to have a slight crack in it.

I will keep everyone updated once I receive the kit and how I make out on the install

You have a few # of water pressure coming up from the pump increasing obviously as rpms and boat speed increase. If it can't be maintained, you can't get adequate cooling to the powerheard. A cracked seal could be a smoking gun.