69 Merc 800 thunderbolt ideling up when hot

Ja31484

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the impeller and water pump housing and put everything back together seems as if after it warms up (on the muffs) it wants to idle way up after it warms up...and then it will die, if you go and squeeze the primer bulb its soft and gas will come right out of the carbs. Not for sure what to make of it? Also I replaced the impeller but it still isn't peeping, I ran a piece of wire into the tube and it was clogged, but it still isn't peeing... I haven't had it in the water yet I thought maybe it was just because it was on the muffs. I appreciate your guys help.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Stick it in a garbage can full of water, mine always overheats on the muffs, if I put in garbage can and fire it up, it starts peeing.

Ja31484

Seaman Apprentice
Why is the idle taking off like crazy? is it overheating and causing that to happen?

Ja31484

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe so I haven't hooked the fuel line back up to the main gas tank yet I have been running it out of a small gas can and its getting a little on the low side maybe its not sucking fuel out. Thanks for your help. Ill try the trash can and filling the fuel supply.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
A 2 stroke running out of fuel will speed up like that. I also find that my Merc 500 pee's much better in the water rather than being fed from one side with muffs.

You can pull out the 1/4" pipe plug on the head around spark plug 2 or 3 and start it briefly. You should get a big ol stream of water shooting out. That eliminates the guess if the pee hole is clogged. I wouldn't run it long like that, it will only take a few seconds to see if it shoots out.

Mi duckdown

Commander
First of all, you have You have a 69. is the drive shaft pitted at the water pump. Primer bulb goes soft after started and while running.

Ja31484

Seaman Apprentice
Drive shaft is not pitted, still isn't peeing, what is the next step? when I put the lower unit on is it possible that I didn't get the tube lined up? should I pull the lower unit back off and make sure its lined up? What do you guys recommend I do next?
Thanks!