Mercury 150 HP 1550 inline 6 having issues starting and at WOT

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To set the timing belt, remove the 5/16" bolt from the distributor pulley. Now remove the timing belt from the pulley and turn the flywheel until the dot (or three dots depending on year) is closest to the distributor pulley. Now adjust the flywheel and cast arrow on the distributor pulley until it points to the dot(s). Install the timing belt. Check spark at the coil first. If you have it there, then check for spark at the plug wires. Wires unscrew from the distributor cap, and pull out of the coil.

Jacobsele

Cadet
Thanks for the tips.
Still no spark to plugs or coil.
I tested the control box (removed the trigger wires and jumped them) and got spark from coil.

I guess the trigger is bad?

Thanks again

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
. Hence the need for fuel recirculation systems on 2 cycle motors. I submit that this liquid fuel under the influence of gravity feeds the lower cylinders of a pair, causing the blacker appearance..
Inlines don't have a recirculation system other than top/bottom bearing and engines will not run on a liquid fuel, it has to be vapor. That why these engines stutter under sudden acceleration if bleed restrictors are missing as the raw fuel suddenly thrown into cylinders fouls the plug for a second.

Jacobsele

Cadet
Just an update. After allot of work, time, and some $$$ it's finally running great.
After changing the powerhead and distributor it would kinda sputter at higher RPMs (kinda like it lost a piston) and take longer to get on plane at times.

The next day I changed the coil and have had it out a couple times with no issues.

I'm still not getting the speeds I thought I was going to be at (38 MPH - 5000 RPM's) but I think that is a prop issue, I am going to change to the prop that was originally on the boat and see if it changes.

Thanks again for all the help, input about the float adjustment, timing, and link and sync were really helpful.