1988 200 HP Mercury Water Impeller Question

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a boat (1988 Sea Ray Laguna 20 Center Console) at an auction & I'm trying to get it going again & need a little help.

I just replaced the water impeller and only got a little water coming from the pee-hole, when I removed the 2 thermostats the water came out fast as I assumed it should. I replaced both thermostats and the water from the pee-hole seems restricted again. Does this seem normal? I did let it warm up enough to allow them to open.

I'd also like to know where the water should come out while the motor is running, I see it come out the prop but there's 2 rectangular holes on the back side of the motor that might be exhaust, should water also come out there?

Compression: 120 Lbs. in all 6 cylinders
Starts easy & idols fine

Just don't want to try a test drive until I'm sure it right.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Jerry

Dukedog

Captain
check tha small hose and plastic "tip" that attaches to tha center cowl mounting piece. weed eater string works good here.. dirt daubers really like that little opening.. there should ba slight misting along with exhaust coming from those two holes.. they are exhaust relief holes.. ..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of those motors need to be warmed up, the thermostats open to have a telltale flow.