1981 mariner 90hp carb question

Woodsbd

Recruit
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and new to boating. I recently purchased a 1979 Thunder Craft Magnum 160SS with a 1981 90hp Mariner inline 6 on it. I pulled the carbs to clean them due to gas leaking out of the intake portion of the carb, and running down the throttle linkage that connects the carbs. Well the cleaning didn't fix the leak, so I figured it was time to rebuild them. When I found the number on the carb it looks as though it was originally a WMK-23, but it looks like someone stamped the number 30 over the 23. Are the kits the same for both of these carbs? Thanks in advance. Also, if someone could please tell me if the link and sync method is the same one as the one that is found in this forum I would appreciate it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The rebuild kits fit a wide variety of carb numbers. You will want to replace inlet needle and seat. Some use the brass gaskets, some don't. Also replace floats and gaskets. Clean the carbs well, especially any pinholes in the carb throat, as those are part of the idle circuit. Link and synch should be the same. Make sure carbs open at the same time, set timing pointer, adjust idle pickup timing and max spark advance timing, and away you go....

Woodsbd

Recruit
Thank you for the response. I do remember seeing the brass gaskets. So the kit doesn't come with the needle and seat?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It depends what kits you get. For those inline motors, Mercury sells just gaskets in a kit, a kit with just needle and seat, and just floats. Aftermarket kits can be different. You need to make sure you get enough kits to get all the parts you want. I used to buy my carb kits at the Mercury dealer, because it was convenient. He just grabbed the kits off his inventory.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you're going to do the carbs, make sure you replace any gas filters and clean any tanks.