20hp hard cold start / fuel squirt

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 2001 mercury 20 hp ele start , has got to where it wont start if its been sitting overnight . I can very lightly spray fluid ( a tiny bit of my fuel in spray bottle ) in carb and it starts easy and will start everytime i bump the key for rest of the day .
I thought maybe ( forgive my lack of correct terms here ) the plunger thing on the carb wasnt getting pushed down when i pulled the choke, however it is. I did notice when i pull the choke a few times gas squirts from this area marked in the picture . Is that why its hard to start on the first start of the day ?
The motor seems to run fine except that hard first start . What would i need to replace or fix that ?

Attachments

• photo220240.jpg
    photo220240.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like you need to check the fuel pump and possibly rebuild the carb.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The choke diaphragm is bad as fuel should be squirted into carb doing the same as your squirt bottle. You will need to but carb kit assy as not sold separate and use only the OEM kit...

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you , i seen two kits that are what i might need , wasnt sure which i needed or if both ? GASKET/DIAPHRAGM KIT part 9761 and/or repair kit 823707 2. Also guess i need to decide if i want to just use this motor or get a used 30 to 40hp and switch like i was considering .