how much oil to put in my 120 horsepower Mercury

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought this motor and have not run it yet. I know it is low on oil and I plan on getting the oil and Gear lube changed soon however I want to start it first to make sure it is running fine. my question is is there a fill line on my oil tank? I am not seeing one and I have no way of knowing how much oil is in it right now. I just want to put in enough so that I am safe to run it on a test drive. also is there any chance my Gear lube might be low? I have never noticed any leaking but should I check this before I run it? and how do I do that? thanks in advance for any help, James I have included a picture of the oil tank

Attachments

• photo220166.jpg
    photo220166.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You have an oil injected two stroke. The red line below shows the oil level in the tank. - You still have plenty. You don't change the oil, you keep a sufficient level of oil in the tank so the alarm doesn't go off.

On the lower unit oil level, it's probably full. Now it might be full of an oil/water mix if the seals are shot. But seeing no leaks probably means it might be OK and will be fine for a short test. Changing the oil in the lower unit is easy if you want to attempt yourself. I would be more concerned about the condition of the impeller in the water pump.

oil.PNG

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great, thanks for the advice. Now my other question is since it is oil injected I do not need to put mixed gas in right?