Best way to reduce speed for trolling

Ryanniess2

Recruit
Have a 92 90 hp mercury outboard. Engine runs great except it loads up with oil and runs rough at low trolling speeds (under 2.5-3) My question is what is the best way to get the speed reduction I need (1.5 would be ideal) with the motor running at higher rpms so the carbs don't load up with oil...Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Buy a kicker motor and use it for trolling. I have a 4 hp Merc (actually a Tohatsu under the hood). It moves my 18 foot Sea Ray at exact the right speed for trolling and burns a lot less fuel than the I/O. It was well worth the cost and will over the years make up the cost in fuel and wear on the I/O.

Mi duckdown

Commander
Ryan if your motor loads up you got problems with your motor. Serial number? what type of boat? where are fishing?

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
The first thing would be to look for a kicker,...

A trolling plate would maybe work, BUT you lose some control of the steering while trolling,..

Personally I would get a pair of trolling bags to slow me down, Amish Outfitters make a great trolling bag,...

And trolling bags work great as a drift sock,...Drift socks will tear apart at some point when used as a trolling bag,...