Mariner Tilt/Trimv

steve mcintire

Seaman Apprentice
My 96 60 hp tilt unit will raise up about half way and stops. The motor begins to make to make a more high pitch sound. I can lower the
unit a little and the cylinder will raise up an inch or two, and it stops upward movement again.
The unit jerks while traveling down a little but otherwise works. The cylinder does not leak externally and will stay up fine when under a load.
I priced a new unit and that is not an option.
Any input would be great. Thank you in advance
Steve McIntire

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Any sign of oil leaks around the unit? If your PTT is similar to the 90 of that vintage, on the rear of the unit is a white nylon screw about the size of a nickel coin. With the engine in the full up position, the oil level should be even with the threads....aka any more oil and it will spill out the hole. Oil should be clear, not opaque and would be clear petroleum color if using PTT fluid or red if using ATF. Manuals say to replace with what you find in your unit if adding or replacing. You could have binding in your interface(the tube) between the engine and the clamp bracket. On the 90 there was a grease fitting (not a zerk, specially made for the Quicksilver grease gun) on the front of the bar in the center as there is also one on the port side of the engine to lube the L-R swivel bracket. To check for binding, pull the PTT shaft that connects to the engine with the PTT in the full down position, and manually raise and lower the engine to see if there is any binding.