Mercury KF5 Super 5 Prop Hub Removal

outboardsusa

Seaman
I have a 1951 Super 5 and was wondering about the prop hub removal, I have OMC small motors and they have rubber hubs that just pop off, does this hub screw off? The picture I see have threads inside the hub and I believe have a spring underneath, does this just screw off with a wrench? If so is it left hand thread? (I know the cover on the impeller is left hand thread), all the instructions I have seen just say to remove the hub none have said how; thanks for any help.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The prop nut is threaded in place. Inside the prop are a series of discs that alternate between metal ones splined to the shaft and fiber ones that are splined to the prop. The spring compresses them together to tighten them up, but give slippage should the prop hit something while underway. They should be clean, not greased, when reassembling.

outboardsusa

Seaman
Thank you so to take off the hub you just hold the prop and get a wrench and grab the hub and turn it to the left?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
First, let's clarify some terminology. The "hub" is the part of the propeller that the blades are attached to. The prop nut is the part directly behind the propeller that secures it to the propshaft. The prop nut MAY have a flat washer between it and the propeller hub with some tabs on it. The tabs may be bent to lock the prop nut in place. Also possible the tab washer is long gone. In any case, to answer your question, you unthread the prop nut in a left hand/counter clockwise direction. The the propeller can come off, sometimes with the discs and washers, sometimes leaving them on the shaft...

outboardsusa

Seaman
Thanks for the information, I got the tool to remove the cover in front of the impeller, I understand it is a left-handed thread, that is what I want to look at, I see they put them impeller up higher a few years later, thank you