69 merc 800 stator, rectifier upgrade..

rk970

Seaman
Well last week at about the halfway point when going from Coupeville to Laconner my tach died.. The 45 year old stator gave out..
So I rewound it with three strands of 20ga magnet wire and potted it with west system 650 epoxy..
I am sorry I do not have any pics of stripping the old wire off. I wrapped the posts with high temp friction tape and fixed a few blems in the orginal green coating with 5 min epoxy.
After about 3 hours of winding before attaching the leads.

On the motor after two coats of epoxy. I cut a 12ga butt connector in half and crimped/soldered the leads.

The next modification was replacing the rectifier with a regulator/rectifier form a late 90s merc
http://goo.gl/RgZOJH
It is a 6 wire regulator. The two yellow go to each stator lead, Black to ground. The two red (one red lead is a sense to measure voltage) to the +post on the solenoid. Grey to your tach.

Bracket I made from 2x2 angle aluminum.

And wired up. Now I get a constant 14.4V and my gps does not shut down from over voltage.

Last edited:

emckelvy

Commander
Nice, clean installation and a beautiful job on that stator!!!!...........ed

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Good work from what I can see. My only question is, did you count the windings coming off the old stator setup so you wound the correct number back on, or did you just fill up the space? But I often though about doing the exact same thing if I ever have one belly up on me. I mean it is only magnet wire... :thumb:

rk970

Seaman
Good work from what I can see. My only question is, did you count the windings coming off the old stator setup so you wound the correct number back on, or did you just fill up the space? But I often though about doing the exact same thing if I ever have one belly up on me. I mean it is only magnet wire... :thumb:

24 wraps. I used 20ga wire. From measuring the stock I believe it was 21ga. So I stuffed a little more copper in there. This is not a single strand wrap but combining three strands so going from 21ga to 20ga will increase the max amp output.

rk970

Seaman
Just wanted to post a update after about 16hrs of run time on the rewound stator.. It works perfect. holds 14.4 volts. I tested the max amp output at 11.8 amps..
I bought another dead stator that in a couple of weeks I will tear apart and rewind. I may do it three phase and use a three phase rectifier/regulator.
rk