88 175hp won't rev past 1500RPM

dgreenlee28

Recruit
I have a 1988 175hp that won't rev past 1500 RPM under load. Will rev fine out of water, but once in water it just bogs and will eventually die. Any suggestions on where to start. I did notice that the stator, trigger, and switch boxes are CDI Electronics components.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It will rev fine out of the water running on 3 cylinders, that test means nothing.---------Check for spark on all 6 leads.------Is this something that developed suddenly ?-------Just bought the motor ?--------Compression test done ?

dgreenlee28

Recruit
Put timing light on it in the water. Firing on all cylinders under load. Adjusted timing at idle to 2 degrees ATDC. Got on it, it bogged, hit the enrichment valve a couple times and it picked up and ran awesome. Any suggestion for the bog? Link and sync, maybe?

Dukedog

Captain
carbs, fuel pump, filter and/or fuel lines, sync, idle timin' all could be suspect...final idle timin'/motor rpm is set on tha water, in gear WITHOUT A TIMIN' LIGHT with timin' screw only...its whatever makes you and motor happy....do not use any other screws and/or linkage ta adjust idle speed/rpm...do tha carb linkage thing ta make sure its on carb idle circuit only at idle...after that's done and it idles fine fine but still hesitates/bogs before it straightens out i'd look at carb cleanin', new gaskets, floats set......jmo

this is if all tha 'lectrrics and comp check out good..... .

Last edited: