Mercury Voltage Regulator on fire

2003 Mercury Four Stroke , I recently replaced a voltage regulator on my motor because old one started smoking on the water. Its been a week and I forgot where the red wire connected to if anywhere ? I connected it to a tan wire and started the motor and a buzzing sound went on so I assume it was the wrong one , then I started the motor without connecting the red to anything and it ran fine , on top of that my trim has stopped working since I put in the new regulator it just clicks now instead of working . If anyone has same motor and can take some pictures of how its suppose to be hooked up that would be greatly appreciated. Looking for any advice , thanks adam

Attachments

• photo219569.jpg
    photo219569.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo219570.jpg
    photo219570.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Do you have the engine serial number handy? That way I can look up the right wiring diagram.

Last edited:

achris

Ok, that's a 90hp.

Item #7 is the regulator. The red wires go to the fuses and the ECU, the grey is tacho signal, the greens plug into the stator plug and the black is ground. That's about it.
90-4str.jpg

Last edited:
No Title

Hi and thanks for the diagram . I do not see a red wire anywhere near my voltage regulator , about the only one that would make sense is that tan wire that goes into the boat wiring harness ,

I Started the motor like that and everything works , runs. Would this make sense or do you think I still have a wire hooked up wrong?

Attachments

• photo219649.jpg
    photo219649.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0

achris

No, you need to remove that tan wire from the red wire. That's goes to an ancillary gauge wire in the dash. The red you're looking for may be the one with a black insulator on it on the right of photo. Pull the black sleeve back an have a look.

Finally found that red wire , it was tucked away behind the solenoids . I greatly appreciate your help , without your help it be another smokey day on the water.
thanks adam ,