Classic 50 solenoid

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1987 classic 50 45hp outboard with electric start and pt/ptilt.

The motor runs the pump down perfectly, but is dead at the switch to lift up. The switch is not the problem as I pulled the wires there and down wire is fine.
I am wondering where the solonoid is on this unit, and if someone knows which colors to jump or how to test where the problem is in the wiring?
Any link to photo helps.. thnx

bmitchell82

Cadet
Sounds very similar to the problem that I am having that I just created a thread on as well.

as such, I have spent many hours researching this to perform the tests on mine, and from what I was reading, in most instances it is a bad relay that causes this issue. I wasn't that lucky, but maybe you are.

There are 2 relays, one for up, and one for down. I believe one has a green wire and the other a blue. Disconnect the wires from the relay and try swapping them. if the problem reverses so your up works but your down doesn't, then you have a bad relay. Everyone also recommends replacing both if that is your issue.

Good luck!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What about the trim limit switch in the trim ram bracket? If that's failed, then you get down, but no up. Find where the limit switch wires connect into the trim pump and put a small shorting wire in place. If it now work, you found the problem.

Chris....

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1. Can anyone define more exactly the location of these relays with wires from them? Inside the cowling, or near the back or somewhere under the transom area in wiring route?
2. I also assumed this unit had a sort of solenoid, that usually trim tilt units have, or at least everyone talks about them a lot,,,again location to find these key items?
3. Finally, I was not aware the outboard classic 50 has a trim limit switch like I have on my mercruiser alpha ones? Those don't allow me to raise the alpha too far without switching to the trailering button for safety of u-joint. But, all my outboards simply raise up with no trim limit switch that I am aware of.

Appreciate all answers and input.

achris

Need a serial number... And too know if the trim system is 2 external rams with a trim pump mounted inside the boat or if it's all contained within the clamp brackets 'under' the engine powerhead.

Last edited:

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Serial number is OC133235
and I am not 100% confident, but, seems to me that the entire pump assembly and main rams, and small trim rams are all outside and under the motor when it is in the down position.
1. Can anyone define more exactly the location of these relays with wires from them? Inside the cowling, or near the back or somewhere under the transom area in wiring route?
2. I also assumed this unit had a sort of solenoid, that usually trim tilt units have, or at least everyone talks about them a lot,,,again location to find these key items?
3. Finally, I was not aware the outboard classic 50 has a trim limit switch like I have on my mercruiser alpha ones? Those don't allow me to raise the alpha too far without switching to the trailering button for safety of u-joint. But, all my outboards simply raise up with no trim limit switch that I am aware of.

Appreciate all answers and input.

achris

ok... That's why I couldn't find anything that made sense.
Your engine is not 1987, it's 1989. (And that's why we prefer serial numbers. :))

On that engine, there is no limit switch (there is on the older engines with the rams external and the pump inside the boat)...

Trim solenoids are inside the engine, under the cowl, either on the 'electrical system' plate (starboard side of the powerhead) , or sometimes, on the side of the front cowl support. They look the same as a starter solenoid (and have the same part number). You can tell them because there will have a large red wire into both, and a large green wire out of one (DOWN) and a large blue wire out of the other (UP)... The large blue and green wires (along with a large black) go directly to the trim pump motor.

Last edited:

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for clearing up the muddy waters....!
I will look it over tomorrow based on that, and hopefully find the problem. I have heard that often it is related to these solenoids...

hdman97

Seaman
No Title

Change the solenoids

Attachments

• photo220132.JPG
    photo220132.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The up solenoid did have some blackened look to the connection, unlike the down one,,,real shiny....I replaced the up one and presto.....Trim/tilt is just like new.
Thanks all