Drive Shaft Spline Grease for Mariner

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Just realized I've been putting the wrong grease on the drive shaft splines of my 1982 30 HP Mariner. I've been using the stuff intended for the various zerks around the motor/mount. Took a closer look and realized that the splines require a high-temp, high-compression grease.

I've had the LU off a lot, fiddling with various aspects of the cooling system. So, I'm hoping the frequent introduction of the wrong grease won't be that much of a problem. However, that leaves me with finding the correct grease. What do you guys use and where do you get it?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
For this application, does my motor care if the product says "Marine"? As long as it is a high temp/high pressure grease? IOW, can I get something at my local O'Reilly's and save the trip down to West or the shipping fees for on-line purchase.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I buy my marine grease at the local Wallyworld....I use it for everything.

leonreno

Seaman Apprentice
My Mercury service manual says to use the Mercury 2-4-C w/ Teflon geaar, which is the regular grease. It will be fine.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Happened to drive by a marine dealership in El Cajon today, and stopped in. They had 8 oz. tube of Quicksilver "High Performance Extreme" grease that states good for drive shaft splines. $10. Made more sense than the big gun tube at West for $15. I'll use about 1/2 oz./year, so should last me 16 years. That will put me at 90 - doubt if I'll be dropping the LU by then.