1963 mercury 100hp tower of power timing belt replacement

adennis896

Cadet
Hi guys I have a 1963 100hp mercury tower of power outboard I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on replacing the timing belt I have the pulley removed I just cannot remove the timing belt pulley off the shift can anyone help me

merc850

Commander
All you do is remove the cover on the distributor pulley (5/16 bolt), pull the flywheel, remove the stator and lift the belt off.
Installation is the reverse making sure that you put the belt on before the stator! but you have to leave the dist. cover off and align the arrow with the line on the flywheel, then replace cover.

Last edited:

adennis896

Cadet
There is a shroud around the pulley that won't let me get the new belt on I have pulled the stator and under it was the shroud it has 4 bolts that were 1/2" I removed the bolts and tried to pull it off but it wouldn't come off the site won't let me upload a pic or I'd show you

merc850

Commander
The image has to be smaller than 200k, you have to pull the belt tight around the flywheel pulley then angle it onto the crankshaft keeping it tight, then you put it on the dist. pulley.

adennis896

Cadet
I'll give it a try this evening and let ya know I got this motor for 250$ it's been sitting close to a decade I had it running for 5 seconds until the old belt have out so I'm really hoping there's some life to the old girl lol

adennis896

Cadet
OK I got the belt on and everything buttoned down went and test fired last night I'm definitely getting spark to all the plugs now and good compression on each cylinder I believe I have a fuel problem now I think my carburetors are dirty and plugged up when I test fired I was only getting small back fires any thing special I need to know when pulling the carbs off

Last edited:

merc850

Commander
Did you time the pulley arrow to the line on the flywheel? back firing can be caused by improper timing/plug wires on wrong plugs. A fast way to check carbs is to tilt motor up and pump the bulb until fuel flows out of the carbs; if it doesn't then let it stay tilted until it will. I would replace the fuel pump diaphragms as well.

adennis896

Cadet
The plug wires are labeled but I didn't know about the timing mark where does it have to be set and yes I'm getting fuel running out of the top carb

merc850

Commander
90ci1000.jpg Take the cover off the distrb. pulley and you'll see a small arrow, this arrow has to point at the line on the flywheel, turn flywheel until mark is inline with the dist. then lift off belt from pulley and line up the marks.

Last edited: