cdm"s

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Jim if you have your engines schematic, post it on here and I can see the entire setup then...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hard to actually see everything with that picture. However, I would lean towards the trigger rather then the stator. But you have a stator, trigger and even the rev limiter that can effect the CDM modules. But the stator would have to be open for it to stop operating. And since you stated that you are getting some output, I would lean towards the trigger module. A stator is merely wire wound around the metal and usually it either opens, or shorts to ground. So if either of those condition are not apparent, I would rule that out and look towards the trigger. If you can disconnect the rev limiter if your manual explains how to do that for testing, I would try that first. I tried to locate a better schematic online but didn't have any success.

jimcrain1966

Seaman
i disconnected limiter and still no spark,.according to manual trigger should have over 1 volt at all three connections when cranking, only has .5 volt.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i disconnected limiter and still no spark,.according to manual trigger should have over 1 volt at all three connections when cranking, only has .5 volt.

Jim what type meter are you using for that voltage test? And have you tested the stator without it connected to anything? I'd be interested in seeing that output. The actually trigger could be just another coil of wire that receives a pulse in corresponding to a set point from the flywheel to provide the spark timing. I'd have to see how and where is was installed to know for certain.

jimcrain1966

Seaman
Sperry DM6450, tested stator not connected, voltage supposed to be 100-350v. but says like 1 volt.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image_219205.jpg
    image_219205.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image_219206.jpg
    image_219206.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sperry DM6450, tested stator not connected, voltage supposed to be 100-350v. but says like 1 volt.

Jim, now I'm confused. I thought you said that the trigger was outputting .5 volts and was suppose to be over 1 volt. Now your saying that the stator is suppose to output 100-350 voltage and it is only 1 volt. Is that correct? And did you read that on the AC scale or the DC scale?

jimcrain1966

Seaman
thats right, and yes on dc. i can recheck if u need. i rechecked its correct.and checked the stator resistance is 670 which is in specs

Last edited:

jimcrain1966

Seaman
ok, hope this helps. i made a adapter to check trigger better, now it reads 1-3 volts at each connection. which is in specs, but stator still reads less than .oo1 volts.I'm connecting probes to the grn/wht and wht/grn connections not the two yellow wires

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So the trigger is now reading properly. And the stator is reading the proper resistance as well? And you installed three new CDM modules. So it sounds like there is nothing wrong. I'd check the stator output voltage again. Because every thing can't check good and not work. Something is wrong or you would have spark. Have you used a spark tester where you adjust the gap and see the spark? That would be a good thing to test. And they sell those for a few bucks at most any auto parts store. That way you will certainly know for sure about the spark. And you can test all three cylinders. Because everything can't be good and nothing works... Doesn't make any sense.

jimcrain1966

Seaman
stator still doesnt put more than .5 volt, must be stator then right? its supposed to put out 100-350 volts

Last edited: