Merc 1999 200 xl EFI oil hose/remote reservor primer bulb

ziggy101

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased new boat with the referenced 2 cycle motor on it. I took the oil reservoir out of the compartment to fill and found a primer bulb in line. The primer bulb end is starting to crack. looked in the service manual and it does not show a primer bulb.
- should I put in new primer bulb and if so can I use one for gas, fuel gas mix or do I need a special primer bulb for made for the oil. did some searching online and could not find one.
- if I also replace the hose is there a spec for that? Saw 1/4" SAE 30R6 stamped on the hose that is there, don't know if it original?
- what kind of life should I expect on the hose? Doesn't appear cracked, but is dirty/aged from laying in boat
Thanks for the help

Dukedog

Captain
there is no such thing as a "primer bulb" in or for tha oil line.....there is a one way "pulse" fitting right under tha starter that should have a hose going to tha main tank which it pressurizes to force feed oil to tha motor tank through another hose attached to tha main tank....suggest you find an OEM manual for your motor if you plan ta do anything at all yourself to tha motor....jmo

ziggy101

Seaman Apprentice
thanks for the response. have the manual, thought It my be something so people add.. guy that had the boat before me must have added the primer bulb. Talked to another guy and he said was a good idea gust to get oil to the tank the first time you fill. bought a new bulb stuck it in and it works OK, perhaps not needed as you say

Dukedog

Captain
Truth be known it was probably added 'cause tha pulse valve quit and who ever didn't know that was tha problem.... If tha valve is faulty then you will be pumpin' that bulb often and/or hearin' a low oil (motor tank) warnin' beep often.....best ta make it "right" imo......tha motor will bleed tha line and fill tha motor tank at idle by crackin' tha cap on tha motor tank if tha pulse valve is workin' right.....

been jackin' with tha V6 since its conception and this is tha first time I've ever heard of anyone doin' that.....guess there IS a first for everything!

Last edited:

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Dukedog.....Johnson VRO have the tanks with a bulb to prime...Merc's of course never did....Me, lose the whole thing and put a pipe plug where the pulse valve is...Just gave a guy with a 150h.p. the bad news on his motor as he lost an oil line and smoked two cylinders...outcome-needs a new motor rather than spending the money to sleeve two holes etc.....Why take the chance when mixing is a no-brainer....just my 02.......