1975 650 3 Cyl Thunderbolt Rough

gholmesjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All-

I purchased the boat with the motor, it wasn't running, but I got it for a decent price. Anyway, I fixed some "broken" parts on it and started her up. She sputtered. I took her down to the block, removed the distributor, starter, and disassembled the carbs. Found that the piece that connected the two carbs was broke, so I got the new parts as well as the carb kits, floats, new needles, etc. I rebuilt the carbs and adjusted the float levers to the specs, when I put everything back together, I made sure that the flywheel belt adjustment line was even with the indicator and the notch on the pulley was lined up with the indicator on the distributor housing. It started and runs. I've adjusted the timing as well as the idle pins on the carbs. I checked, I have compression 120 through all three cylinders. I have spark to all three cylinders and when it idles it runs fine

NOW with all that said...

It goes into forward gear, but the response isn't there. It will get to about 2/3 throttle and then it'll pick up, but it has no guts at all, can't get to plane when I throw the trottle down it just doesn't do much at tall. I also noticed that it is sucking down a lot of gas to go very little distance and there is also some fuel come out of the front of the carb and will pool in the collection tray.

What should I do next? Trying to avoid a shop, but have a feeling we might end up there.

​Thanks!

gholmesjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've ordered a replacement distributor cap, wires, and coil to see if this is the reason. I did find some metal in the current cap that was part of the center button that attaches to the line from the coil. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

rooster4321

Cadet
Might try throttle cable adjustment at the motor. as soon as the throttle is put in gear and then moved you should get more rpms.

gholmesjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've adjusted the throttle at the motor to the point where I get the roller for the carbs to the bottom of the cam that drives it. Any more adjustment and it throttles too much to shift calmly.