1988 xr4 150hp carbs

cajun87

Recruit
serial number 0B277848

I took what I believe to be the main jet screw off the carbs to inspect, it has a number on the tip of the screw says 0.74 if I recall correctly, now the gasket seal is torn and I don't have a replacement at hand for it, not sure if my local parts dealer have it in stock as wel, can I use any gasket to replace as long as its the correct size and it seals? does the jet screw have to go back in a certain way or just screw back in and tighten up?

also looking to do a taredown of carb later down the road, its been running kinda sluggish on top end, if I just wanna take off carbs to clean al I would need is to just get the gasket kit right? unless I find other things inside carb in bad shape then of course I would need to replace those bad parts aswell?
its going to be first attempt at taking off carbs, is it quite difficult task? do I need to do a link n sync on the throttle arm after finish re installing the carbs back on?

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
First you need to buy a complete carb kit with needle and seat and gaskets...With that old of a motor why not spend $60 and buy three floats and be done with a complete rebuild..That takes the carbs out of the equasion.. it will come with the little paper gaskets...The jets are covered with an outer screw....74 is the main jet size....Easy to rebuild the carbs....Lync and sync critical on every outboard...you need to check to see if you disturbed anything... butterflys must be closed or it won't idle... there must be a gap between the roller and bracket moving the carbs..The trigger needs to start moving before the throttle plates begin to open is the reason for this gap...