Flooded Merc 50 hp 2 stroke

IronKnees

Cadet
I just bought a 2006 Sun Tracker pontoon with a 50 hp 2 stroke Merc. I have yet to be able to start this engine. I've tried not touching the push-button choke/primer on the key, leaving the throttle in N or advancing it completely forward... I have not checked the spark yet, but will shortly... I drove this boat at the dealer before bringing it home and it ran just great... So, 1. How to avoid flooding it, and 2 how to start it if it is flooded... Thanks so much in advance... Dave

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Is the kill switch lanyard connected? The simple things first.

IronKnees

Cadet
Thanks for the reply... Yep... Sure is. In fact, this afternoon I pulled it out and worked the button to make sure it wasn't corroded etc. Tomorrow I'm going to have my wife crank it while I check for spark...

IronKnees

Cadet
Yep, it sure is... I pulled it today and worked the button to make sure there was not corrosion etc...

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hope you use an in-line spark tester. Should get a bright purple/red flash. Let us know.

IronKnees

Cadet
Yes sir, fixin' to do that tomorrow... I do have one other question that I haven't been able to find in the service manual... Is there any kind of sensor or safety switch that prevents the motor from starting either out of, or not very far down in the water... I have it in a 55 gal. can, and the water is high enough to draw and come out the pee hole, but the thought crossed my mind that maybe there is a safety that I haven't triggered.

GA_Boater

You could have a model with a mercury switch that kills the motor if it's trimmed or tilted too high. Some have them and some don't.

As long as the lower unit is deep enough in the water to cover the AV plate, you are fine. Just keep water high enough in the barrel after it starts.

If you don't have a spark tester, an inductive timing light will work just to see if you have juice to the plugs. It won't tell how strong the spark is, but that you do or don't have spark.

IronKnees

Cadet
Okay Thanks GA_Boater. Bought an inline spark tester this morning... This morning I removed and cleaned the plugs "again" and cranked the engine without them for a couple of seconds. Then I pinched off the fuel line and tried starting it, beginning with the throttle open, and easing it back to N. Nothing. I just took the plugs out again which are wet... Two further questions did come up while doing all of this... One, I pulled the breather box so I could see the position of the butterfly valves... In the wide open position, they are open. However in the N position or half throttle (start) position, they are fully closed... Two, there is noting (filter) inside that breather box... Shouldn't there be a filter in there? My wife is what else, SHOPING, and when she gets home I'll check the spark but for the moment, I need to cool down a bit... I'm starting to get a bit cranky myself... lol

GA_Boater

The butterflies are closed in idle. And outboards don't have air filters.

When you pump the bulb, does it get hard?

Be careful cranking the motor with the plugs out or the plug wires off. You can blow the switch box. Ground the wires/plugs to prevent that.

IronKnees

Cadet
We just did the inline spark plug test... No spark at all, so am calling the dealer... What ever it is, it happened between Indianapolis and home, about 40 miles... I did find one fuse that was good but with corroded terminals.. I may just pull the initiation switch and re-make all those connections just in case...

IronKnees

Cadet
FIXED... I wasn't satisfied that the kill switch was working, so I took it out of the dash to where I could hit it, and it's connections with WD-40... That was it, she took right off... Oh well, now I am thoroughly familiar with my new motor... Thanks to everybody for the help...

GA_Boater

Good deal. That's why I asked about the kill switch. Sometimes they are finicky.

Time to go boating. Enjoy!

Fed

Commander
Wouldn't the kill switch ground the ignition to kill the motor?

With that in mind faulty connections or faulty switch contacts would only stop the switch from killing the ignition rather than stop the motor from running.

IronKnees

Cadet
Well, Like I said, the kill switch was the first place I went... But, all I did that time was pull the cord free and pushed the switch in and out a few times... Today when I decided to try it once more, I took it out of the dash where I could get at the connections and cleaned them and used WD-40. Problem solved...